Monday, July 20, 2009

Mystery Spinach Update. Plus! Planning Ahead

It was pointed out to me (by the Man, my best friend and harshest editor) that I left everyone hanging after the Mystery Spinach post.

"Look, you don't want anyone else actually cooking that godawful crap and thinking it's their fault it sucks," he pointed out helpfully. "You owe your five and a half readers that much, at least."

Point taken.

Mystery Spinach - which turned out to be some sort of green greatly favored in Asian cooking, but not as a stand-alone vegetable - was, in fact, godawful. It had the muddy nastiness of beets (I hate beets) and grassy undertones of... grass. Despite my best efforts (garlic and chicken broth and olive oil, and even butter and salt) it remained assertively ghastly.

I apologize to anyone who let my gastronomic optimism ruin their dinner, too.

Planning Ahead. No, Really.

Moving along, I'm trying something kooky this week: planning ahead. My stock-in-trade has always been keeping staples on hand, buying whatever fresh stuff looks good at the market, and pulling something together at random when I start getting hungry. I'm pretty sure this isn't the way Julia Child did it.

Further, my half-hearted pursuit of magazine articles - I have written magazine articles, so I have a pretty good idea of how much effort and expertise goes into them, ha ha - informs me that I should be Planning a Month of Easy Meals for Pennies a Serving!!!!

In the spirit of compromise, I've planned five dinners for this week (listed below). Now all that remains is whether or not I manage to stick to the plan. I will remind you that wagering is unseemly, and illegal in some states and provinces.

Five Dinners
  • Tabbouleh and Grilled Chicken Salad
  • Lamb Steaks with Tomato-Feta Salad
  • No-Carb Noodle Bowl with Grilled Cod
  • Polenta with Shiitakes and Leeks
  • Frozen Pizza That Doesn't Suck
Stay tuned for results of this planny madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment