The Man is the author of this super chicken, which varies slightly every time he cooks it. In this house we're very much about using whatever is on hand, which means that the marinade is practically guaranteed to have different ingredients each time it's pulled together. The base ingredients are oil, vinegar (or citrus juice), soy sauce, and whatever else strikes the fancy: rosemary, cilantro, peppers, fish sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce... whatever.
Here are rule of thumb proportions:
- 1/4 cup acidic (e.g., citrus juice, vinegar, or wine)
- 1/2 cup oil (olive is my favorite, but sesame or nut oils are good, too)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons flavor punch (e.g. soy sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, chili sauce)
- 2 -3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs (whatever's on hand)