Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Two years later...

I logged into my little blog today, thinking it had been awhile since I'd posted. If one defines "awhile" as almost two years, I was correct. Since I last checked in, much has changed: we moved to the East Bay; the Boy went off to college; I seem to have acquired a horse; etc.

However, two things have not changed: my weight and my eating habits (more or less).

This is pretty amazing, given all the other variables. The fact that I have managed to stick at 133, give or take a pound, since 2007 is practically miraculous after a lifetime of yo-yo-ing away like Kirstie Alley's even-more-predisposed-to-addictive-behaviors sister. Apparently the healthy habits I have drilled into myself have taken firm root.

That said, a few differences:
  • I still eat breakfast every day, but it is now a much more protein-forward affair. I keep a carton of egg whites in the fridge and generally mow into those with some kind of salsa and occasionally a sprinkle of goat cheese. Which leads me to...
  • I eat less cheese. A LOT less cheese. In fact my dairy consumption is pretty much half-and-half in my coffee. I no longer crave it, so I just don't eat (or drink) it. Which is not to say that I don't occasionally go on a red-wine-and-cheese bender; it's just rare.
  • I eat a lot more fruit. I don't know when this came on - maybe when I discovered an incredible produce market a mile from the new digs - but I now eat fruit at least five times a day. And the berries at this time of year... mmmmm.

I didn't really plan any of these changes, they just sort of happened organically (pun intended). So the point is: if you get into the habit of eating well, you really can change your life.

I just spent two years proving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment